TUFPORT™ MTC medical slide-in Stories

My Arm was saved by NANCY and her Tufport MTC

I bought my Tufport Medical Mobile Treatment Center last year to launch my new business Bell Medics and I am totally glad that I did.

It was a team effort that saved a fisherman from drowning in Shuswap Lake on a brisk afternoon late in April.

Relaxing on a roof top patio overlooking the lake, off duty first aid provider, Nancy Bell and a friend Greg Moore waved at the well-known boater and neighbour, Bob Wolfe as he trolled past the property at approx. 5:45 pm.   Minutes later, as the boat continued along the shoreline and out of site, Moore heard from a distance what sounded like a boat motor in high gear going around in circles.  He ran down to the beach to be certain. Now accompanied by loud shrieks for help, Bell instinctively headed out in her privately owned first aid truck. Moments earlier, contractors Paul Hickson and Dale Kilmartin had spotted the commotion from their pick- up truck and initiated the water rescue by grabbing a small boat stored on shore,  and a couple of 2X6’s as paddles.

 “As I neared the scene I chose the best driveway to access the waterfront.” Grabbing my gear from the back of my Tufport Medical Mobile Treatment Center, I bolted down to the beach where Moore and the others were dragging Wolfe to a grassy area.

  “When I arrived the three men had him in a sitting position. He was conscious and communicative, but a huge gash on his scalp told me the propeller had taken a bite of him more than once.  Looking beyond the obvious injury, it was his left arm that summoned my immediate attention.  Bob was supporting his lower hand in a rather disjointed position in his lap and warning me repeatedly that his arm was severed.  “I threw gloves to everyone and ordered Moore who also has First Aid training as a diver to apply oxygen while other onlookers scavenged my jump kit for a knife and tourniquet.  Cold and wet, Wolfe was mostly unclothed from the turbulent water rescue, and as I sliced open the remaining sweatshirt I summoned Hickson for blankets from my truck.”

Bell remembers the initial reaction from onlookers was only a momentary distraction.  The bleeding had been controlled from the frigid waters and the wound cleansed and visible.  Her ensuing decision to follow the OFA Level 3 protocol demanded the stabilization of what was left of his arm.  With the help of her neighbour Tim Thompson, they began with padded splinting equipment.  The two formed a thick sterile support to maintain the arm in the position found, taking great care not to disturb the exposed brachial nerve.  “I was cautious of the impending shock Wolfe may suffer and was praying the Ambulance was nearby.   I wrapped the limb strategically for their further observation.” 

Meanwhile Hickson was trying to halt the chaotic rotations of the outboard motorboat that was still in high gear near the shoreline.  Using a rope found on the beach, he made repeated attempts to lasso and snag the propeller.

Bell was fully prepared to transport Wolfe to a hospital 30 minutes away and confident she had the equipment to do so.  But within minutes of the decision to transport Wolf, the Ambulance and paramedics arrived at the scene for a seamless transfer of care.

“We were all lucky to have each other at the scene so quickly. It was amazing to see everyone working together and to have the equipment so readily available. “   

 “It really was fate that brought us all together, I’m glad I was home.” says Bell.

A visit this summer with the Wolfe family included a big hug from Wolfe… with both arms!  He has endured countless surgeries to rebuild his arm in the months following and today is lucky to only have limited use of it. Bob’s son Steve is thankful for the quick thinking teamwork that saved his Dad’s life.

Find out more about Nancy Bell at http://bellmedics.ca/

Tufport Roll-Over Testimonial

On April 24th, 2010, a medic with CALA was driving home from a nightshift on Hwy 881 from Fort McMurrary to Lac La Biche, Northern Alberta. She is an experienced driver with formal driver training (NAPD) and was no stranger to the icy and slushy road conditions that occurred that night. To avoid a deer on the road, the driver braked and swerved. The truck slid off the road into a ditch and then went up the embankment before completely rolling over and coming to rest on the driver side of the truck. The one- ton truck was a write-off. The Tufport Medical MTC had only sustained a few minor cracks in the overcab portion of the unit. In fact, the overcab on the MTC prevented the truck cab from being crushed, potentially saving the life of the driver inside the truck at the time of the accident. Additionally, the overcab prevented the windshield from breaking protecting the driver from broken glass. The interior of the MTC did not sustain any damage. Colleen Wiebe is the owner of CALA Environment, Safety and Wellness, located in Lac La Biche. Her industrial medical fleet consists of 16 Tufport Medical MTC’s. She purchased her first MTC in 2005 and has never looked back. “This accident has demonstrated that the Tufport Medical MTC is the toughest. It is able to withstand a complete rollover and still remain completely intact with little damage and is a testament to the quality of the unit.”"

- Colleen Wiebe,
   CALA Environment, Safety and Wellness



I would not be in this picture today if it had not been for Horizon’s Mobile Treatment Center.

I was on my way to work one afternoon at the oil rigs in Northern Alberta. The day was especially cold and it was snowing heavily. The visibility was limited to 15 feet in front of my vehicle.

Two miles from the job site, my truck hit a patch of ice and I lost control. Sliding sideways into the next turn my car drifted into the oncoming traffic.  I was instantly hit in the driver’s door. The last thing I remember was seeing something large and blue bearing down on me.

I regained consciousness just as they were lifting me from my vehicle but I had difficulty breathing. I would find out later that I had broken ribs, a punctured lung and many other injuries.  As my colleagues were loading me into the Mobile Treatment Center, I began to black out again. I just couldn’t breathe.

John, the first aid attendant began CPR and yelled at the driver to get us to ambulance transfer spot which was twenty minutes away in good weather.

The regular twenty minute drive turned into two hours with the bad weather. As we finally neared our destination, a call came over the radio – the ambulance couldn’t meet us, the weather was too bad. We were going to have to make it to Grand Prairie on our own.

The drive to Grand Praire took us another seven hours of which most of the time I was completely unconscious and fighting for my life.

John, our first aid guy never gave up.  He continued with the CPR the entire time, talking to me all the time begging me not to give up.

We pulled into the hospital and the emergency staff rushed out to take me into the hospital.

Nine desperate hours had passed since I was loaded into the Mobile Treatment Center.  Nine hours of John constantly administering CPR.

If we had to wait for the ambulance, I would have died.  It was only because our company had a vehicle that was outfitted for emergency transport that I lived.

I owe my life to John and our Mobile Treatment Center.

-Harry Chevel

You Own a Tufport. You Own the Best! 
Facebook You Tube Linkedin Google Plus yelp